Beware of Google Treasure Chest.

This is just a quick post warning you guys to stay far away from Google Treasure Chest. They are operating the same deceitful acts as Google Money Tree. Their presell page claims to send you a packet of information on how to make money online for just $3.88. The deceit lies within the terms and conditions.

If you sign up for their program, you’ll automatically be enrolled in their “membership program.” I don’t exactly know what this entails, but I do know that if you don’t call and cancel the membership you didn’t sign up for, you’ll be charged $72.21 in just seven days. You’ll continue to be charged the same amount each month until you manually call in and cancel your fake membership. Again, there is no mention of this within their sales pitch. You have to dig through their terms and conditions in order to find this lovely bit of information.

Another interesting note is that this program is in no way endorsed by Google. I’m actually astonished that Google hasn’t issued a cease and desist for attaching their name to these programs. It’s just a matter of time I suppose.

You can read more about this in our Google Money Tree post.

Are there more companies peddling these same tricks? Let us know in the comments below.

There's only ONE program I really recommend. It's my favorite way to generate quick and easy money online. Click here to see how you can start earning today.

1. Well, it looked like a good deal to me. I even read the Terms as well. So I knew supposedly what I am getting into. I even printed the terms and agreements out as well. So then I get this call 4 hours later and this guy is “interviewing” me for a chance to have Coaches help you make more money. And wants to get my husband in on it. They talk a pretty big game finding out how In debt you are, and what are your goals to fix this problem. So I bite the bait and continue with the interview (all along they still won’t tell me what I would be doing) So then I have to go through a 2nd interview with a “corporate guy” to see if we qualify for this coaching opportunity. And as I set up the 2nd interview He tells me that there is an investment between 4k-15k. That we would put on the credit card and be able to pay it back quickly. So that sprung a HUGE red flag as I am very frugal with my credit cards. So I came to research this so call business on the Internet. I stumbled across this article. And decided that I won’t get sucked into this further from the Comment about the person that signed a contract to invest 3k with them. I cancel the credit card that they had and sent them an email to cancel the account. (I never received the CD or my account ID or password.)

DON’T fall for the “Coaching” scam either. Thank you all for your insightful comments before I got into major financial debt.

2. My name is Tim I think we shouldn’t get in voled I gave no account no.I am desperate but don’t need more trouble than what I am in now if this really work they wouldn’t need that information. Until later win you start making money. By the way dose any body know of anybody that has made money with these system,besides the same four that work for same pipe co . has same Land rover,showing the same checks.

3. A pop up for Google Tresure chest came up while I was online. I saw teh blinking light with the timer, but figured if I went to the previous screen and re-clicked the pop up, it would start over. The only thing I saw at the bottom of the page in the fine print was that Google Treasure Chest was in no way affiliated with Google. I paid the $1.97, never recieved the DVD in the mail (I was under the impression the 7 days started when you signed for the package). I called the “For Refunds Call 866-957-0020,” which is what the company is listed as on my bank statement. I called and was told my money would be refunded within 3-5 business days. The rep kept referring to it as “This product,” as if he didn’t even know what it was. I’m not even sure I know what it is. It clearly stated in the pop up that you could get the Google kit WITHOUT paying for it, just pay $1.97 shipping! I’ve done other network marketing businesses and have no issue with paying a fee to learn a trade or become a licensed professional, but I received no merchandise and informed the rep of this! I asked if they had a tracking number so I could find it in the mail and get my shipping cost back purely on principle. The rep said there was no way to know where it was, as they ship through the post office!

4. hey signed up for this crap last week i got charged the dollar something then the 70 yesterday bull shit,,,,i dont care what people say when i signed up their was no fukin small print honest,,,nothing said i would have to pay 70 bucks for this shit i read everything,,,i called today and they gave me a confirmation number for my refund and said it would be 3-5 days to be refunded back on my card,,,hmmmmm i hope so or im gonna travel to utah and rip off this guys balls who started this shit

5. Like several — I saw there ad only to be caught in their underhanded scam.

Yes I rec’d a call which was their 2nd attempt to further steal money. ?s like how much is available on your credit card to pay tuition for the coach in learning how to set up a web based business. Needless to say I declined when I asked well tuition for what and how long? Answer: It could be 6-12 months, and cost a couple of thousand to ten thousand.

My response how is this making me money.

Any way I returned the garbage per their instructions and like others I never played the piece of trash they sent me, my position this probably had hidden codes and/or viruses. no thank you.

As of today 4/14/09 I just spoke with Angie @ 866-957-0020. Who advised they just rec’d the return and it takes 7-10 days to see the return. I stated so by the 24th this should be corrected. Angie no it takes 7-10 business days. I stated so it takes business days to refund, but not business days to charge. To this Angie stated “unfortunately that’s right”. I stated yeah the old switch-a-roo.

I saw their add and answered the page 3/27. My visa was charged 4/3. I called 4/6 which would have been the 10th day according to their contract (which is food for the Attorney General to shut these crooks down, and the BBB to blast via every media medium when this kind of fraud is first detected) before 100s are affected. Straight out FRAUD nothing else

6. I really feel bad for all of you, honestly because its a shame they dont tell you straight out you have to pay $70 a month. BUT, havent you guys ever heard of “reading the small print”? ALWAYS read the small print. take that extra 5 minutes to go over every detail. I havent read of one person who has had any success. Not because its a scam, but because everyone has cancelled it themselves from feeling so damn stupid. And most of you guys are saying you cancelled your accts 5 minutes after you signed up! Let this just be a lesson to all of you. Hope everything works out of for everyone who is upset with google F&$@ chest

7. I was taken by this scam aswell…Did anyone else get called by PMI for coaching? I was taken by the scam aswell and got charged for 199 to my credit card, and ended up signing a contract with them for financing for $3k

1. $3k, Tony? Ouch, that bites.

8. I was taken by this scam as well. Didn’t know it till I went to the bank and they told me i was in the hole. I called the 800#. (1-866-951-1406) The customer rep I talked to was very nice and happily gave me a refund for the $72.21. Just a heads up though the 800# is not the actual company it is a collection company that works for “Google Treasure Chest”. So don’t start the conversation on a bad note. They know they work for a company that’s a scam and they are happy to help you get your money back. They get paid even if “Treasure Chest” don’t get your money. Good luck everyone!!!

9. Hi Guys, I signed up for this about a week ago aswell.And then i came across a site that claimed that it was a scam and kicked myself for it. Called them asks them a s**t load of questions and I must say they were quite helpful, said that I can start on it if i want to even if i didnt get the CD within 7 days by logging on with the info they sent me in my e-mail. ( thats the username and password i got after i sined up) and if i’m not happy within 7 days, that i could even call on the 7th day and cancell. Which i did the second day before i even tried it cuz i was a chicken. I havent got billed for anything yet, im keeping my fingers crossed but its been about 2 weeks now. Anyway I did get the CD within 5-6 days. I wasnt expecting it since everyone said they had’nt got thiers. I havent checked it out yet, but am very anxious to see what its all about. Anywayz, i had Kelli’s mentality and thought hey, if I could make a couple thousand a month and they take 72.22/mo..it wouldnt really matter…BUT i think im gonna pass up on this one. If I feel adventurous and give it a try..I’ll be the guinny pig 😛 and let you guys know how it goes.Atlast the onse who got the CD….if you didnt get a CD then i guess thats something to be worried about.I’m wondering if there are some sites out there claiming to be the same company and scamming people..could that be a possibility?? anyway..Take care ..i’ll keep in touch..and let me know what ya think.

10. For all the UK users,

I cancelled mine a moment ago. If you dial 0844 759 9510. This is a online company who charge you 1p per minute to call the usa from any BT landline. Listen to the short message and then dial 001-888-705-1275. 001 is the international code. The operator will go through two security questions with you and then provide you with a cancellation number.

Hope this helps
    I’ll try not to be so easily convinced next time!!

11. Lee, you will probably need to use a country code when dialing a US number from the UK. I have a buddy in London & we both need a country code to call each other. I dont know the code you need but you can do a quick search for country codes and you will find it. Good luck.

**I am so glad I read the terms before clicking submit! I was soooo close to falling for it just like the rest of you – but I AM a complete dumbass for giving them my real phone # and email address! Hopefully they just leave me alone because I didnt actually sign up for their scam….fingers crossed.

12. Hi Lee, I live in Canada, make sure you phone that #
    all the best to you

13. I am also living in UK.
    I also did this stupid thing today,I’ve paid with my visa debit card.
    Does the anyone know can they still collect the payments if I will cancel the debit card?
    Do they need the card number for the next time?
    Any ideas?

14. Melba

Thanks for the reply, are you in the UK as well, is that the number you used?

15. Hi Lee, the only phone# i have is 1-888-705-1275, cancelled mine
    but they still took the money out of my account, be very carefull or they will take that amount each month
    hope this helps you

16. As Demian’s post

I’m also in the UK. Ive stopped by bank account around 1 hour after signing up. Anyone know how we can contact them from the UK? Ive tried emailing them but this is coming up as invalid as well. Are they total cowboys??

17. Kelli from above, I know you are desperate, me too. but my educated guess is that they tell you to peddle their silly system in a sort of pyramid scheme. If you decide to do it, you will get other people in money trouble like us.

18. Oh also,

There was an ad on myspace.com to nathansmoneyblog.com promoting google treasure chest. I wonder if there’s a way to complain to the folks at myspace about it and have them remove the ad.

19. A couple of things. Google can’t do anything. Google does not own the word google. google can be used by anyone…because Google is known as a famous search engine, there will be people capitalising on the term.

A hint, don’t give your personal info, credit/debit info to anyone on the net telling you that you can make x amount of money by working at home, but first you need to pay x amount them. Just as obvious as the Nigerian prince email phishing scam.

20. ShaunAuseer says:

Thanks Steve. I just came across this scam…I was just about to join the list of fools. ThanX!

21. Lehann –

I have a question. I’m not sure what you mean by “unlock” that you indicate.

I just signed up for Google ATM Home Business Kit. I read the fine print after signing up (stupid me) and called to cancel my subscription. The Phone number listed in the Terms was 800-497-4988. They said that they were not part of that and gave me a different phone number: 866-951-1406. I called them and had my subscription cancelled and got a cancellation number.

In your response you said the following: “When you call to cx…make sure you tell them that the other subscriptions that you ‘unlocked’ by signing up will have another number to call… 1-866-951-1406 you can cx googletreasurechest AND “FraudSafeLockID”…”GrantSpring” has another number …1-888-247-2155″.

I called the GrangSpring phone number (1-888-247-2155) and they do not have a record of me. I called the original number again (800-497-4988) and they don’t have a record of me.

I called the phone number where I got the cancellation number from (866-951-1406) but they were already closed for the day. Do I need to call them back and make sure they cancel all of my subscriptions? I’m not sure what you mean by “unlock”.

22. I did check the BBB re: Google, so when I saw a B- for the rating I thought, “OK, not horrible”…and I even read the Terms and Conditions….Google seems to have a good reputation…went ahead and signed up at $1.97 for the kit…went back to BBB cause after I signed up, I see the name googletreasurechest…(which was NOT on the screen when you sign up)..googled THAT on BBB and it turns out they have a big fat F-…I immediately came here, started reading, got approx 3/4 the way down and called them to cancel…be forewarned!!!!! When you call to cx…make sure you tell them that the other subscriptions that you ‘unlocked’ by signing up will have another number to call… 1-866-951-1406 you can cx googletreasurechest AND “FraudSafeLockID”…”GrantSpring” has another number …1-888-247-2155…since I had just signed up within minutes of cancelling, they did not have me in the system yet so I need to call back in a couple of days to make sure it gets cx’d!! My fault for not investigating more thoroughly. Good luck!

23. I did check the BBB re: Google, so when I saw a B- for the rating I thought, “OK, not horrible”…and I even read the Terms and Conditions….Google seems to have a good reputation…went ahead and signed up at $1.97 for the kit…went back to BBB cause after I signed up, I see the name googletreasurechest…(which was NOT on the screen when you sign up)..googled THAT on BBB and it turns out they have a big fat F-…I immediately came here, started reading, got approx 3/4 the way down and called them to cancel…be forewarned!!!!! When you call to cx…make sure you tell them that the other subscriptions that you ‘unlocked’ by signing up will have another number to call…don’t think you can get rid of this with one #..by calling 1-866-951-1406 you can cx googletreasurechest AND “FraudSafeLockID”…”GrantSpring” has another number alltogether…1-888-247-2155…since I had just signed up within minutes of cancelling, they did not have me in the system yet so I need to call back in a couple of days to make sure it gets cx’d!! What a pain! My fault for not investigating more thoroughly. Good luck!

24. Hi
    I’m living in the UK and just signed up for it. The number on their website is 866.951.1406,
    How do i call this number from the UK?

Is there a prefix?
    Please reply ASAP

25. Hello! I was lucky not to be taken. I saw an advertisement for this on one of my websites that i go to daily. I am writing to them now to tell them about the scam and hopefully they will take it off the air ways (from their site anyway) I did read the fine print before i put in my info. I even gave an old phone number on the first page because i knew the phone would start ringing immediatly. I am sorry all you guys got ripped off. It does say in the fine print that they will NOT refund your money for any reason. I hope Google does something about this so that other’s aren’t scammed.