I’ve Tried That Investigates: West At Home

Much of my day is spent browsing the web in search of new information. I usually dedicate an hour or so to trying to catch up on the latest scams in order to better educate myself to pass the knowledge on to you, my lovely readers. Usually when you come across a blog post or forum thread giving astounding praise to a program, they’re almost always promoting a scam. Even though it’s deceitful, it’s just smart business.

I came across my first ‘West at Home’ discussion in a forum a few days ago and I didn’t think much of it. The original poster had asked if it was a scam, and the follow-up response denied that claim. There wasn’t any substance there so I carried on about my business. A few days later, I discovered an entire subsection of WAHM.com dedicated to West at Home and that’s when I realized that maybe this is something we should be looking at.

The Program

West at Home hires people as customer service representatives to take inbound calls from home. Those working for West at Home are considered independent contractors and are thus not technically employed by the company, but rather you pick up outsourced work. Essentially, you will be running a customer support call center from your home. There are no start-up fees associated with West at Home other than the required equipment. West at Home requires either a VoIP or landline phone and a broadband internet connection in order to work for them. You probably already have both of these items.

West at Home employs people to do a variety of tasks from their home. These tasks range from customer care, live chat and email, and incoming sales calls. You’ll be assisting a number of companies by handling their customer support. An average day could include assisting an individual with resolving a billing inquiry, helping another customer purchase an accessory for their new wireless phone, or providing assistance/troubleshooting on a non-working product. West at Home offers paid training and claims that if you are qualified, you could be assisting your first customer within days of applying.

If you choose to work with West at Home here are some companies you may be dealing with. Technically, you aren’t supposed to talk about West at Home clients, but this is IveTriedThat.com not FollowTheRules.com.

• HSN
  • H&R Block
  • Office Depot
  • ProFlowers
  • Sears Home Repair
  • ShopNBC
  • Toys “R” Us
  • Virgin Mobile
  • Walgreens
  • Whirlpool
  • And more…

Getting Paid

In terms of payment, there doesn’t appear to be a set $/hour number anywhere. I’m assuming you’ll be paid more on the quality and quantity of work that you do. After browsing around for a little I’ve seen some people saying they were receiving anywhere between $0.12 and $0.30 per minute. That sounds incredibly low in terms of cents per minute, but that works out to be anywhere between $7.20 and $18.00 an hour. Again, these are just ballpark figures.

There you have it. West at Home is another legitimate way to make money at home in your spare time. Now I know some of you reading this are currently West at Home contractors. I want to hear your comments below. Let us know, first-hand, what it’s like working for West at Home.

There's only ONE program I really recommend. It's my favorite way to generate quick and easy money online. Click here to see how you can start earning today.

1. I have tried to apply for this company, but they aren’t eligible in my state. I wonder why that is. It is an at-home job. That doesn’t make sense.

2. I worked for West At Home for about 8 years…They are a good company to work for especially that you actually get to choose the hours you would like to work. The Pals are very nice and always try their best to help.
    What I did not like is when there are issues and request information, you always have to do it in writing to who knows who….there seem to be no direct person, supervisor to talk to.
    I would recommend this company for anyone who would like to work from home. The pay is really not good and for all the years it has never increased….so that would be something you would want to accept working for West.
    Right now, I was just dismissed in January because of a Test call we always took once a year..where a Pal plays to be the customer…I completed the call and was told I Passed..however another Supervisor listened to the call and told me i failed and blocked my account. Another Pal called me and apologized for the miscommunication between the pals that lead to me losing my job. I am now collecting unemployment and looking for another work from home job.
    good luck to all who work for or apply for west…we all can and will have different experiences but its always worth the try…I just wosk the pay was better . Good Luck. Anyone want to write to me.. sweetypie553@gmail.com

3. I went thru all the module training and passed. I have till next Sunday to take a total of 4 incoming calls…but I am having trouble with their programs pulling up . I have windows xp and ie. but I read somewhere that XP will not work and I need ie 10. Is that true? Also I don’t understand how the phone call process works,, I have a headset and just to test it, i was talking to a family member and i took the handset off the phone, cliked the headset button –and I could hear family loud and clear, but they could not hear me speaking. Any help, & answers to my questions & suggestions asap would be appreciated.

4. I have finished all training & downloaded their programs that are to be used for taking calls. I fee that WAH should test your phone to make sure the line is ready and your clairity is good. I have a corded phone with a head set,,, and when talk to someone to test it myself, I can hear that person very clearly, BUT they can’t hear me talking. I don’t understand how their call taking system works. In the training modules it showed a program where you clik on the “talk” button. Is that how the calls come thru-thru your computer? I really think they should help you thru the phone call taking first, before you actually take 2 test training calls. Any advice on the headset and corded phone and how the program actually works?

5. I have just started at WAH and I do wish I had better training. I will say that the PAL’s are wonderful and very helpful. I did not want this skill that was offered to me but decided to accept it in order to be hired. Although it is not something I would like to do for a long time I do want to do it well and wish I felt better prepared to help the customers. If we would like to learn new skills how long do we have to stay with the first one? Can we work more than 1 skill at the same time in order to work more hours?

6. I did not pass one of the modules and was not able to complete the training. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to offer you another position?

7. I have finished my DR training. Now they are telling me to do a “webinar’, anyone know what all it consist of? I was told I have to do a “live” call. What all are they looking for in it and how difficult of a call will it be? (surely its a set up call)
    Just wondering because I have not had a chance to look at a screen and play around to learn it. Only reading through self paced modules…

8. Hey, I recently got my offer letter and completed my 1-9 the weird thing about is that after doing my background check it didn’t ask me to pay. I’m aware that I have a small charge for drinking (probation) so will that prevent me from working with west! And is anybody else going through this problem

9. I agree with “WAH Employee, GA says: April 19th comment 121) I to am a very intelligent person and have always been in the to 5% of any training classes I was required to take by previous employers. Some of them were quite difficult, especially when I worked for Ford Motor Credit Co., we had to learn all retail and lease laws for 20 states and of course the laws were different in each state. I did the training at a pace where I was able to absorb all the information and felt I would be able to do a good job for West at Home. I too did not finish all of the training in 15 hours but, I did pass in all the segments that I completed. I don’t see how anyone can actually finish and retain all the information in 15 hours. I think they are setting people up for failure. If they truly want representatives who do a professional and knowledgeable job for them they should allot more training time.

10. Has anyone had a problem with it not allowing you to run a system check

11. I was hired. Went through everything and now when I go to choose a skill all I see is a message that says “There are no skills open for recruitment at this time. Please check back again tomorrow!”

I’m hoping it won’t always be there cause if so that’s a horrid waste of my $31

12. VERY concerned with the legitimacy of this company. Sent all of my personal information and final step is for I-9 verification. Sent email asking them for the third party they use to do this (in my research they should have a vendor set up already this since all of their “reps” work from home.) No response and now they have all of my info. BIGGEST SCAM to get your personal data.

1. I’ve worked for WAH for 4 year and I can say that it is not a scam. I-9 verification is done through the government and you are sent to a third party site to complete the background check. Also not all of the reps work from home the have agents in call centers.

13. Let me reassure everyone here with questions about West. I have worked for them since 2008. They are a legitimate company. Paying for the background check was not required when I started but I guess after losing money paying for so many unqualified absences they begin require applicants to pay for it themselves. I love working for West. Make your own schedule in 30 minute intervals and you NEVER get fired (unless you commit and act of fraud or something). If you fail at one skill they simply remove you from that one and in about a month or so later they are emailing you with a new offer. SWEET! Pay varies depending on skill. I have been certified on like 8-10 skills. Some seasonal and some permanent. Great company to work for. Training is paid at minimum wage and you train at you own pace at home with a minimum hour allowance and time limit to complete so as not to spend weeks training just for an easy pay check

14. In answer to Sandyp I applied on 6/30 and received an employment offer on 7/7. Sent money for background check on 7/18 in the late afternoon received an email that I had passed the background check on the morning of 7/19. Seemed awfully fast for a background check. I then was told to go into the skill training site. When I did there were no skills training available at this time. I was assured that there would be in 1-2 weeks. I hope this is a realistic time frame as I am disabled and need the work.

15. sherry bontempo says:

I was thinking about taking a position with West at Home and wondering about the 31.00 they ask for a background check. Is this check really done or is it a way for the company to collect money from potential employees. Is this really a legitimate work from company. Is it possible to work 20-40 hours per week. Is it a big problem to get acceptable hours to work.

16. I almost applied for west at home but they are not available in Nevada. I am looking for a flexible job while I am finishing college. I have work for a job like this before but I am looking for customer service experience.