Free Home Business Idea: Property Preservation

No, the business isn’t free. I mean the idea we’ll give you is free, as always. Except for when they’re not.

We get occasional emails asking us for work-at-home ideas that are not Internet-based or that don’t require computer skills. I have to admit, the question is a little above our pay grade because Steve and I are both computer dorks. We make money using the Internet and computers, so when somebody asks us about other ideas we’re like, What? Does anybody make money without computers?

Of course they do. Lots of people make lots of money without broadband and html knowledge. So if you’re looking for a home business opportunity that doesn’t involve blogs or affiliate marketing, you’re in luck today.

Foreclosed Homes Mean Opportunity

When a bank someone else takes over a home and it isn’t ready to sell, they need someone to take care of the house. Clean out the yard, get rid of owner belongings, maybe do basic repairs. That kind of thing. If you can get banks and property owners to give you the work, it could become a good small business. Here’s how one such “property preservation” company describes what it does:

Our goal is to give financial institutions a quick way to turn their non performing assets into a quick sale by performing property preservation from start to finish within 48 hours of receipt of property assignment. Once property preservation has been accomplished, our clients can immediately place the property for sale.

See more about what this company does on its Web site.

If you’re living in an area where folks and the housing market are not doing so great, there might be lots of work out there for you.

A commenter on our HUD refunds processing thread is offering an e-book that teaches you how to get into the business. Yeah, I know. There’s always an e-book, isn’t there? We haven’t seen the book so we can’t vouch for it. We asked for a review copy, but they weren’t interested.

Still, if you’re serious about earning some extra cash around your neighborhood, it could be worth a look. Just keep all your filters turned on. Also look in your area to see how many competitors are already doing that kind of work. The site selling the book is here.

If you look into it, are working that kind of job now, or buy the ebook, let us know. We’d love to hear from you.

There's only ONE program I really recommend. It helped me turn my 'hobby' into a $6,000+ per month money making machine. Click here for the exact formula I followed.

1. Kunal Bhanarkar says:

I currently run a property preservation company to started past 2 month, that gathering be to more information about that, please help me anyone to what is the next to prepare us.

2. livedandlearned says:

Property Preservation is a hard job, you can send all your troops into the field to do jobs everyday then play hell to get paid. Each company has it’s fall backs most pick apart the work and require very detailed photos of work before during and after. You are also required to report all damages or be issued at cost work orders to do the required repairs for FREE. I see this post is several years old and it was better at that time but today in 2016 there are so many regulations and rules that these National companies put in your contract its near impossible to do the work and make any money at it. Requirements on insurance, back ground checks on all people on the property, requiring photos to support things then you go back and get them and they still are not good enough. Using apps on your cell phone to take photos then your phone goes dead all the time because of continued exposure to heat, cold and wet conditions. Remember most of these properties are lacking electricity so it is working in the elements of hot or cold, you could potentially miss an entire room of a home because you did not see a door ect. in the dark with only your flash light or another light source to light your way hard to get good photos in basements due to darkness then be told that you have to get better photos not to mention that you are arriving on a job with normally a list of what can be done but you don’t know what will need doing basically you show up in a truck with a trailer and a mess of supplies that you try to continually organize then you do what you can with what you have. You get noisy neighbors who want to talk your ear off about things, you will be approached by random people sometimes in small towns that want to know if you bought the property, but they are just being noisy for the previous owner. You might walk into a home occupied by squaters or even a home that is still being lived in. Encounter abandoned pets sometimes dead in the home. Then provide 1000’s of pictures to be picked apart and told that they don’t support the work that you did and you can’t get paid for it. Talk to people on the phone who can not see things in the photos or argue with someone about a bid that you submitted and they want to cut because they don’t know anything about construction. If you tell them you are going to be late on a job because you are in a blizzard they tell you thats not an excuse. So you send crews out and they then go in the ditch and you pay $800 between getting your van out of the ditch and putting the workers up in a hotel for the night.

1. Well I have been working this business for 12 years now and my god you hit it all on the head what a crazy insane killer business this is its like everyone is out to stiff you on your very hard hard labor work on top of everything no one really wants to “work” they want your money but do not want to put the effort at one time I had an awesome crew but due to low paying invoices due to all the fees they no longer allow I had to stop using some of my crew on some jobs now they have moved on to regular work. Now I make less than 1/2 of my yearly pay but seem to put out as much or more work than before for nominal invoices. I am about to move on.

1119 63rd St South  Gulfport FL 33707 610-413-1074 
    Property Preservation Specialist
    Dedicated and technically skilled business professional with a versatile administrative support skill set developed through experience as property preservation specialist, secretary, administrative assistant, payroll accountant and H/R assistant.
    Excel in resolving challenges with innovative solutions, systems and process improvements proven to increase efficiency, and customer satisfaction.
    Offer advanced preservation assistance in HUD, REO, VA, caliber and conventional loans.
    Advanced in Propertypreswizard,, Pruvan, various client web based systems, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Yardi.

Montgomery LTD Jan 2015 to Present – Gulfport Florida
    Owner operator Montgomery LTD-current client is Precision Property Management, currently I service there MM Mortgage Service Account as account manager for Precision. Manage employees, clients and contractors as needed and process work orders for MM.

Paramount Asset Management September 2014-January 2015 – Manassas Virginia
    Account manager for MM Mortgage Services and Safeguard Properties. Managed contractors, clients and staff to ensure account remain in good standings. Also acted as primary recruiter for Paramount, recruiting states, managing issues in the field and working to grow clients.

Extraordinary Properties August 2013-September 2014- San Bernardino California
    Partnered up with Extraordinary Properties out of New York to grow Corelogic account before it was sold to MCS. Worked directly as account manager for Corelogic, growing coverages of 2 states into 12 states in less than one year. Processed orders and handled vendor issues, payroll and disputes.

Miken Construction March 2013-August 2013 Rancho California
    After Miken Construction was bought out by Mid-Ohio Field Services in Reynoldsburg Ohio, was offered a transfer position to California to remain account manager for Corelogic and LPS. Handled both accounts, vendors and all in house purchasing from MFS supply for in house contractors.

Mid-Ohio Field Services July 2011-March 2013 Reynoldsburg Ohio
    Was hired as a processor for Safeguard and evenly was promoted to Department manager for LPS, Corelogic, ISN, NRF, Wolverine, and NFN.

Mortgage Maintenance February 2008-July 2011 Groveport Ohio
    Served as assistant to the management team and contractors. Handled a busy phone system, functioned as primary liaison to banks and contractors and ensured a consistently positive customer experience. Clients included were AMS, A2Z Field Services and Citi Side Management.

OHIO UNIVERSITY, OH 2011-2015

4. Thank you Marc, I will look into that.

5. We started a business, and for the first three months we make about $1200 a month. I want to do the preservation portion, but am not sure what the codes and requirements are. Does anyone have a suggestion where to learn what the preservation entails?
    Thanks for your feedback.

1. Sign on with a national vendor such as Safeguard, Five Brothers, MSI, Cyprexx, etc. They will provide you with training and requirements to help you get going.

6. Scott King says:

Has anyone worked for a company called ANM? Can’t even find a street address for them, and they don’t return calls.

7. I am a subcontractor so a property preservation company, i make about 2k a month doing the yards and the refresh on the maid service.
    i was hard to get started, you do need to have a lot of money save since you will spent a lot in gas, and supplies but after that you will see your money coming in.

I work very hard and fast gardener, i usually do 12 homes a day turn them in the same day,
    I have all the tools to make my job easier, and done right.
    so if you are willing to work hard, and do a good job than it is worth it.

8. Property preservation is the easiest and funnest line of work ive ever done. Getting started from what ive heard from my associates is relatively easy, as long as you are willing to do the work. The hardest part is advertising yourself to get work, other than that once you actually start its simple dumb-muscle labor. Yardwork, completely clearing the house of any belongings, unless told otherwise, minor repairs and cleaning. And the best part is getting to keep any items you want, excluding guns, You can make a killing at the flea market with some of the things you find, most people leave most of their belongings behind. Anyway, i love this work and am currently trying to get my own business up and running, best of luck to all.

1. Find an attorney that will collect his money only when he wins the case, and Take NVMS to court, let the court system do their job. Good luck…let us all know What happens.

10. linsford wright says:

You can make money in this industry, but you have to be able to cut your costs. I purchase my cylinders for lock changes at I get them for 5.99 each and padlocks for 3.99 each. When you have client that pays $40 per cylinder then you can really make a profit when you are changing out 4 or 6 cylinders. I also learned alot for a book called HUD Property Preservation Job Contacts, Applications and Business forms. A young lady called Carolette Wright shared all of her contact information to companies like CoreLogic, MCS and other large companies, and some smaller companies. here is the link to that ebook I was able to add more money to this book than it acutally costed – it is a good investent.

11. linsford wright says:

I forgot to include the location of the ebook

12. Just stay away from this. Its very cut throat. Erika is almost dead on. Exception is that i’m on pace to make about 60k. But, if you factor in the hours you put in its turns out being like a $12 an hour job. Iv recently just worked 42 hours in 3 days cleaning out 3 storage units. You don’t get paid over time. You don’t find anything like they do on TV. Its hard earned money. And if your thinking about becoming a sub. Unless you have a direct tie into LPS, CoreLogic, Bank Of America, or any of the M&M and self management company’s, then don’t. Your going to be getting sued left and right for non payments. Guys will not do the picture process correctly and in turn will not be paid for the job. They’ll take you to court and the judge will say to you he doesn’t care what your contract says, the guy did the job now pay him. By the time you take out lawyer fees and time put into the business its just not worth it.

13. Property preservation work sounds fun. You will get to sort through the previous owner’s belongings, set your own hours, make a ton of money doing multiple houses each day… WRONG!

First of all, let me tell you that the previous comment from “Erika” is totally dead-on. You will fork out at MINIMUM, for every job:
    # Your gas to and from the job, on average 2 trips for beginners.
    # Dump fees- Anywhere from $35 for a self-hauled truckload of garbage to thousands if you need dumpsters.
    # Labor $$- You can’t expect any good worker to wait 30-60 days for payment.
    # Cost of cleaning supplies (sometimes you CAN find these already in the home)
    # Trailer rental (if needed) to haul garbage
    # Add extra for any tires, paints, stains, if an item is too heavy to lift (junk hot tubs, etc) you’ll need to factor in some kind of equipment.

This is just for starters, as sometimes you’ll show up at a house and realize the bank has cut the power and you can’t vacuum or even SEE into the closets… time to bring in a generator.

Banks and Agents don’t feel like waiting for you to piece together the required tools to get their home done. Most agents can say that their vendors are doing 24-hour turn-around and if you don’t think you can do that, don’t try.

I started and ran a successful property preservation business for 3 years, made a mint but worked my tail off for every single penny and have since moved on to bigger and better ideas.

And let me not forget, it’s a bid war on some of these jobs, and even when you do a good job, you put up the money and the house is done the realtor might still tell you it’s a 90-day turn-around on repayment!!! You can NOT control when you get the money, it all depends on when the bank processes the job and when the asset managers sign off on it. So no, if you don’t have at least $3k to toss out there and not see it for a month or more, don’t get involved here! It will sink you quick, and some realtors just prey on the newbies… fair warning.

Oh yeah, PLEASE take pictures of EVERY single job (before and after) and have the knowledge of how to share these with your realtor. They expect that. It also protects you, when your insurance company doesn’t want to.

14. I currently run a property preservation company. It takes patients and hard work. This is not something easy to just jump into. My advice for any one is to do your RESEARCH. Yes, the middle man is making more money than you unless you have a Bid situation. You either except it or move on.. That’s the life of property preservation. I do understand the anger and it’s not right for them to get paid when they do nothing but sit on the phone all day. We are the people that make it happen.. My advice..DO YOUR RESEARCH

15. I am interested in starting a Property Preservation company through some advice of others I know. What I have is a few very hard working people that want to help, a lot of contacts through local townships, a list of the contact people for over 200+ homes in the area that are foreclosed (given to me through a relative that works in the building and code department of a rather large town in the area), the knowledge of running a small office, and the drive to succeed in a bad economy.

What I do not have is, cash to get me through the tough times, equipment (other than trucks, lawn tools, and basic handyman tools), and the ability to take too large of a risk. Of course any new business involves risk, but I do not have the flexibility to float money for three to four months.

I have read up on Property Preservation companies, I understand that there could be a lot of lag time between the job and when you get paid, but I want to know if with my strengths as well as my needs will I be a “good candidate” to start a business in this case?

Any help will be grateful!

16. Yes, this Property Preservation (or Trash-Out) business is fun, but unless you know someone at the “next level”, you won’t succeed.

I’ve been doing fieldwork for just over a year. I made a whopping $18,000 last year and that number doesn’t reflect the countless hours I spent trying to “get my name out there”. This was a full-time effort and I made part-time wages.

The fact is, you have to cover the entire costs associated with each job for sometimes up to 30-days before you get a check. You can not start a Property Preservation Company without some savings (and tools).

My first job cost me over $4,500 in dumpster & equipment rentals and I didn’t see a check for over 5 weeks! I put everything on the line to continue the business and now I have a proven track record with two local real estate agents, but banks still won’t even talk to people like me.

Not to discourage anyone from trying, but if you want to keep up, get some solid contacts with agents involved in foreclosure listings (not all real estate agents are) and know how to pressurize, winterize and properly eliminate moisture penetration on a home before you try to get involved, as banks will make you pay for repairs if your work fails.

Have fun & best wishes!

17. Outlander says:

The reality is unless you have the ablity to handle large volume the wine and dine this is a bogus thought because its about results and quality. This is not an industry to just jump into thinking you’ll get rich. It’s work hard work. I have been doing it for the last 6 yrs both sides. Advice do your research and educate yourself on how to do it right otherwise you won’t last. Remember feast or famine

18. Look, apparently there are as mentioned only a few huge companies whom are taking in the lions share of this so called easy money while paying out to contractors a fraction of what they take in. I for one am sick of this sort of set up. Its time the little guy is given the chance to earn a fair wage and as for the big guys well there is really no need for them, what do they do really other then wine and dine the bankers to show favor while they hold all the cards in their hand. Its wrong and down right stupid for a huge bank to think paying this so called company for something they don’t do to start with. Its the old middle man trick and well we don’t need it, its partly why we’re where we are now to start with, these brother inlaw deals have really started to wear on me, so I say kick the middle man to the curve pay the one who does the work and well lets put something back for a change! lets start with honesty and humanity. The so called Property Preservation companies or more often then not owned by someone whom is close to the banker, mortgage company or broker. Its time we let the man doing the work get paid and the fat cats get out of the way.

19. Actually it might be easier to start in “Mortgage Field Inspecting” and graduate into property preservation as you make contacts. Believe me, as I have been in this field since ’05, once you start getting involved with foreclosed homes you’ll find that, in a local sense, it’s a small crowd of the same trusted service providers. A lot of PP companies pop up so it’s increasingly harder to fight for contracts without references of companies you’ve worked with. Good luck and remember that even that’s it’s working from it’s still work.

20. I want to start a property preservation company. What do I need to do or what is the process.

Thank you.