Updated: Fraud Alert! Don’t cash checks from Surveylot.com!

Looking for a review of Surveylot.com?

Two I’ve Tried That readers have reported receiving cashier’s checks from Surveylot.com, which means there are many more checks out there. This is a classic fake check scam. Don’t cash them! Your bank might tell you that it’s a real cashier’s check. Don’t believe them. Fake checks can bounce up to a year after you’ve deposited them, and your bank will hold you responsible for the money, even if they told you the check was good.

Here are the scam letter, check, and postmark sent to David. Click on the images to enlarge them. I’ve added some editing marks on the letter to illustrate some points I’ll make below.

fake check Scam letter Postmark

I’m certain this letter and check are not really from SurveyLot.com. Look at all the typos and errors in the letter—those are dead giveaways that they weren’t produced by a real business and that they weren’t written or edited by native speakers of English. The postmark is Canadian, but I can’t verify the accuracy of the postal code.

We’ll have a guest poster soon who will describe more completely how the fake check scam works, but for now, remember not to suspend your critical thought: If someone you don’t know and did not contact sends you $3,000 and offers to let you keep $300 for your effort, run fast and far.

Update: It looks like the US Treasury department is already on this one.

What YOU can do
Scams like this one thrive on ignorance and emotional appeal. You can help put these guys out of business by spreading the word about this post and the dirty tricks of scammers that want to kick you when you’re down. Help us get the word out:

1. Share this post by clicking on the “Share This” link below
  2. Learn more about this and other online scams by reading the Related Posts below
  3. Report fraudulent activity at Scam Victims United and to your local police

There's only ONE program I really recommend. It's my favorite way to generate quick and easy money online. Click here to see how you can start earning today.

1. Alisha FAvors says:

hi muriel i ust got the same email from raymond claymond. if you could email me at alishafavors@yahoo.com with his response

2. Bea, I just got a job offer from this Raymond Claymond guy off Craigslist. It’s for a fashion shot and he said that they will be coming to my location to shoot this fashion clothing for an article. He told me that he is going to pay me half the money up front and the rest after the shot is over. I have my doubts so I sent him a series of questions, one of which stated that im bringing a long one of my friend who is a cop. I just emial him back today but when he emails me back ill let you know. I’m in the same boat like you. At the end of the letter it says that he is from New Orleans but his profile stated that he’s from New York. I can’t help but think this is a scam but I’m going to wait and see what happens.

3. Okay so this guy off craigslist named Raymond Claymond hired me as a driver for him like he said he would be here in like the month but he was gonna send me money up front to prepare…..and get what I need………and then the pay will come weekly he NEVER asked for ANY money back…….and he was supposedly in London some where but my check is from chase bank and the postmark and enevelope has all this funny writing on it…….its written on says 5000 only …..my partner thinks its fake idk….should I take it too someone and just see like if its real and if not report it???? I do somenly live by realisticness and I don’t think if its to good to be true than it is cause I have had some serious blessings and miracles dude but I think this check is pushing it lol……..can someone give advice??? Oh yeah I was scammed like 3 years ago by a pet service it was weird cause the check literally came from no where and I NEVER. Gave anyone my info so we thought it was from this company we sued way forever ago……yeah bank of america shut down my account but they didn’t make me pay back the 100 they gave me………

4. just got a check today, from southwest missouri CU for 3,978.00. i have trolled the internet looking for message boards and found that overall, this has to be a fraud. despite all this i think i will try to cash it, i am already gonna lose my house and must declare chap 7, so what is the worst that can happen? the money sure could helpright about now

1. Dan, no, it can get worse. You will cash the check and some time later, it will bounce. That will leave you owing an additional 3,978 PLUS fees. Also, you know that it’s a fraudulent check, so cashing it would be illegal and banks have been known to press charges.

5. If the U.S.Treasury Department is on to these guys, why are they still able to spam people using fraudulent bank documents 2 years later??? Since I did not cash the check, how can I file a victim’s report, or alert the authorities?

6. the scammers at the surveylot.com are alive and well. just received a cashier’s check today drawn on Heritage West Federal Credit Union for $3,978.00, which I was told to cash and use $3,475.00 to purchase a money order at Moneygram as a Secret Shopper, to be sent to an address that will be disclosed later. I was given an “assigned training coordinator @ 1-877-431-3640, email: contactrichard@thesurveylot.com for further clarification.

7. Yeah…I fell for one of those kinds of checks, but like it was some chick who found me on roommates.com and we started emailing back and forth, but I had already found another roommate. When I told her that, she offered to help me pay bills…and I was in such a rough spot, I was like hell, why not? So, she sent me a check two checks of 4k a piece, and I put one in my bank, and my boyfriend put one in his bank.

Yeah, I knew something was up, but the money did help at that moment, and I do have to pay it back, but there’s no warrant for my arrest or anything.

Still sucks.

Don’t do it.

8. HEY JUST GOT ONE OF THESE LETTERS IN THE MAIL TODAY? SOMEWHERE FROM CANADA. ITS FROM EMPLOYMENT RESOURCE AID 48 GRAHAM AVE BROOKLYN NY 11206. BUT IT CAME FROM CANADA? CUSTOMER SERVICE EVALUATOR THEY SENT ME A CHECK FOR 3950.00 WANTED ME TO SEND THEM 3100.00 I KEEP 700.00 150.00 SEND FEES. WHEN I READ THAT I KNEW IT WAS A SCAM, WHY SEND A CHECK TO SOMEONE AND THEN WANT ME TO SEND MOST OF IT BACK TO THEM? I HOPE NONE FALLS FOR THIS SCAM.

9. Roy Barrett says:

recently recieved letter and check to be mystery shopper, decided to investigate Thank God For These posting I did’t need the headache

10. Received a check & letter posted marked from Canada..surveylot.com.. same thing..guess they are still going
    Thet must buy mailing lists! Thank you for the info.

11. thanks for the heads up my husband got a check from these people and after looking at this and other web sites I think it save us from making a mistake

12. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP, I GET A SCAM CHECK !!!!! ABOUT ONE A MONTH THANKS AND GOD BLESS!!!!!

13. Answered an ad for SurveyLot.com two days ago & was told if I would give them the email address of 3 friends I would be entered into a contest to win $5000. The next day a relative got an email that appeared to be from me though I never sent it, the “from” gave my email address(how on earth do they imitate that?) so he opened the email that had a link to surveylot.com I think. We both erased them from our boxes immediately & reported them to Microsoft as a phishing scam but they already have my address & phone number & if they can send my relatives emails that appear to be from me have they taken over my computer? Can they get in to my internet banking site. Microsoft has not gotten back to me. Thanks for any help.

14. WOW!
    I WAS THINKING THAT THIS TIME I REALLY FIND A SIGHT THAT I COULD MAKE SOME EXTRA MONEY AT HOME I GUESS ITS NOT OUT THERE

15. Ahh crap!! I actually thought this one might earn me a couple extra bucks….back to the drawing board

16. I just received the letter and the cashiers check, thank god I decided to do some research online first to see what other’s outcome was to this. The way the letter was written was my first clue of the fraud, then my boyfriend and I called and the man who answered sounded like he didn’t even know what was going on. So after telling him to go fuck himself, we are taking this to the police. It isn’t surveylot themselves its someone posing as representatives from their company. I just thought I should warn everyone out there, when it seems too good to be true it usually is! good luck everyone!